Amazon Kindle 2
Kindle 2 available for pre-order from Amazon...
As thin as a pencil with text as clear as a book, Amazon has just released it’s new version of the popular e-book reader Kindle.
For those of you that don’t know, Kindle is an e-book reader that uses electronic paper (read our previous article on e-paper here) to display text and images from books, magazines, blogs and other sources.
Kindle is able to wirelessly download e-books and content from Amazon’s Whispernet using Sprint EVDO network.
Amazon Kindle 2
Kindle 2 was released on the 9th of Feb and is available for pre-order from Amazon priced at $359.
Amazon say ‘if you have previously placed an order for Kindle 1, and have not yet received it, your order will automatically be upgraded to Kindle 2. You need to do nothing.’
The new Kindle features improved battery life, 20 percent faster page-refreshing, a text-to-speech option to read the text aloud, and an overall thickness reduced to 0.36 inches (9.1 millimeters).
New Features and Spec’s:
- Slim: Just over 1/3 of an inch, as thin as most magazines
- Lightweight: At 10.2 ounces, lighter than a typical paperback
- Wireless: 3G wireless lets you download books right from your Kindle, anytime, anywhere; no monthly fees, service plans, or hunting for Wi-Fi hotspots
- Books in Under 60 Seconds: Get books delivered in less than 60 seconds; no PC required
- Improved Display: Reads like real paper; now boasts 16 shades of gray for clear text and even crisper images
- Longer Battery Life: 25% longer battery life; read for days without recharging
- More Storage: Take your library with you; holds over 1,500 books
- Faster Page Turns: 20% faster page turns
- Read-to-Me: With the new Text-to-Speech feature, Kindle can read every book, blog, magazine, and newspaper out loud to you
- Large Selection: Over 230,000 books plus U.S. and international newspapers, magazines, and blogs available
- Low Book Prices: New York Times Best Sellers and New Releases $9.99, unless marked otherwise
The Kindle store first opened with around 88,000, now the Kindle Store has more than 230,000 books available, plus top newspapers, magazines, and blogs.
Amazon claim this is just the beginning:
“Our vision is to have every book ever printed, in any language, all available in under 60 seconds on Kindle. We won’t stop until we get there.”
To help promote the new Kindle, author Stephen King has written a novella which will be available exclusively on Amazon.com.
New York Times Best Sellers and most new releases will be available for $9.99. Kindle also lets users download first chapters for free so you can better judge whether that particular novel is right for you.
Kindle does plan to go world wide, however plans for a launch in the UK and other European countries are being delayed by problems with signing up suitable cellular operators.
- Display: 6″ diagonal E-Ink® electronic paper display, 600 x 800 pixel resolution at 167 ppi, 16-level gray scale
- Size (in inches): 8″ x 5.3″ x 0.36″
- Weight: 10.2 ounces
- System requirements: None, because it doesn’t require a computer
- Storage: 2GB internal (approximately 1.4GB available for user content)
- Battery Life: Read on a single charge for up to 4 days with wireless on. Turn wireless off and read for up to two weeks. Battery life will vary based on wireless usage, such as shopping the Kindle Store and downloading content. In low coverage areas or in 1xRTT only coverage, wireless usage will consume battery power more quickly
- Charge Time: Fully charges in approximately 4 hours and supports charging from your computer via the included USB 2.0 cable
- Connectivity: EVDO modem with fallback to 1xRTT; utilizes Amazon Whispernet to provide U.S wireless coverage via Sprint’s 3G high-speed data network
- USB Port: USB 2.0 (micro-B connector) for connection to the Kindle power adapter or optionally to connect to a PC or Macintosh computer
- Audio: 3.5mm stereo audio jack, rear-mounted stereo speakers
- Content Formats Supported: Kindle (AZW), TXT, Audible (formats 4, Audible Enhanced (AAX)), MP3, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively; PDF, HTML, DOC, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP through conversion
- Included Accessories: Power adapter, USB 2.0 cable, rechargeable battery. Book cover sold separately
- Documentation: Quick Start Guide (included in box) [PDF]; Kindle 2 User’s Guide (pre-installed on device) [PDF]
- Warranty and Service: 1 year limited warranty and service included. Optional 2 year Extended Warranty sold separately
- Unavailable, please contact us for more information.