Remote Control Your PC With TweetMyPC
Shut Down Or Lock Your Computer Via Internet, Email, or SMS
Controlling your PC via the remote desktop was once a technique only mastered by professional IT technicians. But now with the help of little known application called TweetMyPC, you can shut down or lock, download files to and from, take screenshots of your PC and publish them to the Web, all from your mobile phone or any other computer connected to the Internet.
Once you have set up your TweetMyPC, the app will silently monitor your Twitter stream every minute for any desktop commands. Then you can simply send an email, SMS or tweet command to control your remote PC from anywhere in the world.
How To Remote Control Your Windows PC With TweetMyPC
To do this you must first install the free TweetMyPC utility on any Windows PC.
Its a good idea to create a new twitter account, you should also protect the status updates of this account to ensure better security. Protecting the account prevents others from reading your tweets, in the case, the emails commands you will send to the remote computer.
To protect your Twitter profile, log in to Twitter, click ‘Settings‘ >> Check the box next to ‘Protect my Updates‘.
Nest you must associate your Twitter and Gmail account with the application.
It will use Twitter to receive remote commands while Gmail will be used for sending your information.
How to send commands to your remote computer using TweetMyPC.
Once you have set up your basic configuration, it’s time to set a posting method. You can use email, SMS, IM, web or any of the Twitter clients to send commands to the remote computer.
- By Email: Associate you Twitter account with Posterous (auto-post) and all email messages sent to email@example.com will become commands for the remote computer.
- By SMS: If you live in US, UK, Canada, India, Germany, Sweden or New Zeleand, you can associate Twitter with your mobile phone (use telephone numbers listed below) and then control your remote computer via SMS Text Messages.
- US: 40404
- Canada: 21212
- UK short code: 86444
- New Zealand short code: 8987
- Germany: +49 17 6888 50505
- Sweden: +46 737 494222
- All other countries: +44 762 4801423
- By IM: Add the Twitter bot – firstname.lastname@example.org – to your list of Google Talk buddies and you can then send commands via instant message.
- By Web:You can also log on to the Twitter website and issue commands in the same way you would tweet.
How to shut down, log off, download files to and from your remote computer using TweetMyPC.
- Screenshot: By tweeting ‘screenshot‘ you can take a screenshot of your PC.
- ShutDown, LogOff, Reboot, Lock: Type any of these commands and TweetMyPC will do just as you asked.
- Standby: If you just want to switch your remote computer onto standby, use this command. Alternatively you can also tweet ‘Hibernate‘.
- Download : You can download any file from the Internet on to the remote computer using the download command – For example, a command like download http://bit.ly/tCJ9Y will download the CIA Handbook.
- GetFile : If the file you require is already stored on your computer, you can transfer it from your remote PC to your current computer. By tweeting ‘GetFile‘ followed by the file path, TweetMyPC will take the file and send it to your email as an attachment.
- Search your drives for files: If you don’t know the file page, use the command ‘GetFileList ‘ to get a list of file folders on that drive.
- GetProcessList: This is like a remote task manager. You’ll get a list of programs that are currently running on the remote computer along with their process IDs.
- End Unwanted or Suspicious processes: You can close any application/process by tweeting ‘kill ‘.