Free Online Data Backup Software
The best free data backup solutions that store your files locally and online...
With cloud computing becoming the future of IT, online data storage is more important than ever. While many data storage solutions, backup and restore applications charge for online storage, there are many that don’t.
8 FREE online data backup and storage applications.
Drop box syncs your files between all computers installed with Drop Box. A copy of your files is also stored on secure servers so you can access them from the Drop Box website – the free version allows for 2GB of online storage, or you can pay for larger accounts up to 100GB.With the application installed, when you click save, drop box automatically and instantly does its job.
- Sync files of any size or type.
- Share large files and photos easily.
- Automatic online backup.
- Track and undo changes to files.
- Windows Mac and Linux.
Syncplicity works in a very similar way to DropBox – it automatically syncs file between all of your computers, and online – up to 2GB.
Syncplicity does however, add the ability to open files in web apps such as Google docs and Scribd. The downside is that it is only available for Windows.
- Automatic real time backups.
- File stored instantly across all of your computers – and online.
- Effortlessly access and share your files from any computer.
- Windows Only.
Adrive offers massive 50GB online storage. A free account does come with limited feature, you’ll have to upgrade to to get full FTP access, file history (and recovery), the ADrive desktop for Windows, Mac and Linux, SSL encryption, WebDAV, 24/7 support and no advertisements.
- 50 GB of free online storage.
- Cloud storage.
- Upload and store files.
- Access files anywhere.
- Easily share files.
- Edit documents online.
- File transfer protocol.
- ADrive desktop.
- Windows, Mac and Linux.
Backup2e is a very simple solution that allows you to backup any file your email account. This is, of course, limited to the amount of storage your email account offers, but it’s great easy way to back up and access your files from anywhere.
- Right click files and backup to email.
- Right click folders they are zipped and backuped.
- Allow zip before send.
- Run custom command before send.
- Change subject prefix.
- SSL SMTP connection and non ssl.
- Configurable SMTP server.
- Scheduler in crontab notation so you can schedule backups.
- Ask for target email before every backup (by default not asking).
Areca Backup is an open source application that basically allows you to select a set of files / directories to back-up, choose where and how (as a simple file copy, as a zip archive, …) they will be stored, and configure post-backup actions (like sending backup reports by email or launching custom shell scripts).
Areca Backup Features:
- Archives compression (Zip & Zip64 format).
- Archives encryption (AES128 & AES256 encryption algorithms).
- Storage on local hard drive, network drive, USB key, FTP / FTPs server (with implicit and explicit SSL / TLS).
- Source file filters (by extension, subdirectory, regular expression, size, date, status, with AND/OR/NOT logical operators)
- Incremental, differential and full backup support.
- Support for delta backup (store only modified parts of your files).
- Archives merges : You can merge contiguous archives into one single archive to save storage space.
- As of date recovery : Areca allows you to recover your archives (or single files) as of a specific date.
- Transaction mechanism : All critical processes (such as backups or merges) are transactional. This guarantees your backups’ integrity.
- Backup reports : Areca generates backup reports that can be stored on your disk or sent by email.
- Post backup scripts : Areca can launch shell scripts after backup.
- Files permissions, symbolic links and named pipes can be stored and recovered. (Linux only)
JaBack is an automated data backup application designed automate all your backup, synchronization, and archiving tasks. It allows for backup to FTP and email (as well as any drive on your computer or network), and sports a flexible scheduler. It also has a file monitor function that will perform backup operations whenever changes are detected.
- Automate Backups of your important files and folders. The backup set is created in standard ZIP format. This allows flexibility in restoring the data using any zip software to unzip the backup set.
- Transfer your backup set to a remote location via Ftp or Email it to your mail server.
- Scheduler software is very easy to use, yet has very powerful scheduling, tasking and automation capabilities.
- Email Notification of task failure based on task exit code.
- Local directory monitor allows you to backup data when a file/folder change is detected.
- Zip files and directories using wildcards on schedule. Can append date/time to filename for archive purposes.
- Copy files and directories using wildcards on schedule. Can append date/time to filename for archive purposes.
- Windows and Mac.
BackupPC is an open source, high-performance, enterprise-grade system for backing up Linux, WinXX and MacOSX PCs and laptops to a server’s disk. BackupPC is highly configurable and easy to install and maintain.
- A clever pooling scheme minimizes disk storage and disk I/O. Identical files across multiple backups of the same or different PCs are stored only once resulting in substantial savings in disk storage and disk I/O.
- One example of disk use: 95 laptops with each full backup averaging 3.6GB each, and each incremental averaging about 0.3GB. Storing three weekly full backups and six incremental backups per laptop is around 1200GB of raw data, but because of pooling and compression only 150GB is needed.
- Optional compression support further reducing disk storage. Since only new files (not already pooled) need to be compressed, there is only a modest impact on CPU time.
- No client-side software is needed. The standard smb protocol is used to extract backup data on WinXX clients. On linux clients, tar over ssh/rsh/nfs is used to backup the data. With version 2.0.0, rsync is also supported on any client that has rsync or rysncd.
- A powerful web (http/cgi) user interface allows administrators to view log files, configuration, current status and allows users to initiate and cancel backups and browse and restore files from backups.
- A full set of restore options is supported, including direct restore (via smbclient, tar, or rsync/rsyncd) or downloading a zip or tar file.
- Supports mobile environments where laptops are only intermittently connected to the network and have dynamic IP addresses (DHCP).
- Flexible configuration parameters allow multiple backups to be performed in parallel, specification of which shares to backup, which directories to backup or not backup, various schedules for full and incremental backups, schedules for email reminders to users and so on. Configuration parameters can be set system-wide or also on a per-PC basis.
- Users are sent periodic email reminders if their PC has not recently been backed up. Email content, timing and policies are configurable.
- Tested on Linux, Freenix and Solaris hosts, and Linux, Win95, Win98, Win2000 and WinXP clients.
- Detailed documentation.
- Open Source hosted by SourceForge and freely availble under GPL.
NasBackup is another open source, high-performance, enterprise-grade backup solution for backing up MS Windows desktop PCs, laptops and servers to network disks. NasBackup is also highly configurable and easy to install and maintain.
- GUI backup setup and schedule.
- GUI online backup progress and final status.
- File backup failure – online alert. An open file causes failure, NasBackup will pause for a while allowing the user to close the
- open file.
- Option to compress the backup files.
- Option to encrypt the backup files.
Option to backup locked files like Outlook PST by automatically closing the application at backup time.
- Easy integration of other utilities during the backup procedure like internet dialer, registry backup etc.
- Allows selection of any folders on local or network-mapped drives at the click of the mouse.
- Firewall Friendly, Can be configured to use port 80.
- Fast. Based on Rsync, the fastest incremental file transfer program available, either open source or commercial. Only the differences between files and directories are transferred between local folders and their corresponding remote mirrors.
- Scalable. Based on Rsync can mirror directories of any size without degradation of performance.
- No client-side software is needed for restore. Standards protocols are used : http/s, ftp, smb, etc.
- Windows and Linux.
- Unavailable, please contact us for more information.