Pages Navigation Menu

Keep on the Cutting Edge of Computer Tech and Military News

New HighTed-EDGE

US Army LEMV Hybrid Airship

US Army LEMV Hybrid Airship

New spy blimp set to patrol the skies of Afghanistan by the year 2011...

U.S. Army’s Space and Missile Defense Command is planning to deploy an autonomous, free-flying, surveillance ‘blimp’ over the skies of Afghanistan by the year 2011.

The Long Endurance Multi-Intelligence Vehicle (LEMV) will be 250 long, and will be able to float at an altitude of 20,000 feet for up to three weeks at a time. The aircraft is not technically a blimp because it is heavier than air – only 80 percent of the LEMV’s lift comes from buoyancy, the other 20 percent from from six thrusters powered by individual turbo-diesels for take-off and climb.

lockheed-martin-lemv-concept

Although the LEMV is fully autonomous, it can also be optionally piloted. A 40 x 15 ft section behind the sometimes-manned cockpit will carry an array of of intelligence systems, like radar and wide-area motions sensors. Information will then be beamed back down in real time to commanders on the ground

A consortium led by the US Army’s Space & Missile Defense Command is scheduled to be established next month, and the consequent contract awarded by the end of December.

Lockheed Martin’s Skunk Works says it will supply the air vehicle, the new designs will be based on the company-funded P-791 – a 125ft-long experimental hybrid airship that flew six times during 2006 (seen in video below).



Related Posts:

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Source:

  1. Unavailable, please contact us for more information.
New HighTed-EDGE

6 Comments

  1. I BUILD THESE YAY

  2. Wrong way to go using diesel. Go total solar electric ducted fans. and install flexible solar panels all over the airship. Use the diesel-gen as a power back-up.

  3. Hi folks,
      The part about Lockheed Martin supplying the LEMV is not correct, as the contract went to Northrop Grumman and Hybrid Air Vehicles from England to build the HAV 304.
      Regards JB ( http://www.hybridairship.net )

  4. this vehicle fly’s to low, will be subject to bad weather at 20,000 ‘ and over unfriendly areas would be easy to shoot down. it needs to hover at 60,000 to 80,000 ft.

  5. What is this filled with Hydrogen or Helium?  Isn’t Helium in short supply? 

    • Your message…If it’s unmanned, use hydrogen–it’s cheaper and can be generated anywhere there is water!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

  1. LEMV Blimp Makes Maiden Flight | OkiZoo - […] U.S Army’s Long Endurance Multi-intelligence Vehicle (LEMV) – an autonomous, free-flying surveillance blimp, made its maiden flight on the …

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

New HighTed-EDGE